Assessing the Organizational Culture at Your School
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
1. To provide you with a framework for assessing organizational culture.
2. To conduct an evaluation of the organizational culture at your school.
3. To consider the relationship between organizational culture and organizational effectiveness. Introduction Academics and consultants do not agree about the best way to measure an organization’s culture. Some people measure culture with surveys, while others use direct observation or information obtained in interviews/workshops with employees. This exercise uses an informal group-based approach to assess the three levels of organizational culture discussed in this chapter. This approach has successfully been used to measure organizational culture at a variety of organizations. Instructions Your instructor will divide the class into groups of four to six people. Each group member should then complete the Cultural Assessment Worksheet by him- or herself. It asks you to identify the artifacts, espoused values, and basic assumptions that are present at your current school. You may find it useful to reread the material on layers of organizational culture discussed earlier. When everyone is done, meet as a group and share the information contained on your individual worksheets. Create a summary worksheet based on a consensus of the cultural characteristics present at each level of culture. Next, compare the information contained on the summary worksheet with the cultural descriptions shown in Figure 14.3 and discuss what type of culture your school possesses. Again, strive to obtain a consensus opinion. Finally, the group should answer the discussion questions that follow the Cultural Assessment Worksheet.
Questions for Discussion
1. What are the group’s consensus artifacts, espoused values, and basic assumptions? Are you surprised by anything on this list? Explain.
2. What type of culture does your school possess? Do you like this organizational culture? Discuss why or why not.
3. Do you think the organizational culture identified in question 2 is best suited for maximizing your learning? Explain your rationale.
4. Is your school in need of any cultural change? If yes, discuss why and recommend how the school’s leaders might create this change. The material on embedding organizational culture would help answer this question.