Wk 1 Discussion 1:
Role of the Marketing Function
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
I’ll take the job!
Hereâ€™s the scenario to imagine: a new 5 week marketing manager internship has opened up at each of the organizations listed below. And based on your past accomplishments (and that awesome business card), they all want you. The internship involves researching your employerâ€™s current marketing efforts and then creating a marketing plan for a new product or service that you dream up. So, the question is â€“ who would you choose to work for and why?
Your choices span a variety of categories as well as marketing approaches. We’ve provided website links, so you can learn more before making a decision. You will be working with this brand throughout the course, so choose carefully.
You’re going to create a discussion post that includes the information below. See our sample post for Harley Davidson (which is not one of your choices).
1. The brand you’ve selected to do your marketing internship with
2. The reasons you selected the brand you did
3. A link to a representative tweet from your brand
4. The answers to these questions about your brand’s unique selling proposition
.You do not need to create a Twitter account to do this assignment.
I have chosen to do my marketing manager internship with Harley-Davidson as I think they’ve done a great job in crafting and maintaining thier brand image. Plus I’m a big fan of the TV show Sons of Anarchy which features lots of Harleys.
I would characterize Harley-Davidson’s unique selling proposition with the phrase “American rebellion”.
The holiday themed tweet I have chosen expresses this USP in the tagline “for badness sake” and the dominant use of black, silver and gold as well as the skull motif.
What’s remarkable about this tweet (which is for Harley themed gift merchandise) is that it doesn’t include a motorcycle and the Harley logo is only shown subtlely. The brand is so established that it can rely on its Twitter followers to mentally supply all the associated motorcycle imagery and rebellious associations that the brand has built-up over time.
Wk 1 Discussion 2:
Products and Services
Products and Services
Every year hundreds of millions of dollars are spent marketing products (or services) that fail. Millions of dollars those companies would love to get back.
Fortunately you happen to have a functioning time machine that you bought on Craigâ€™s list. And now youâ€™ve got one chance to fix what went wrong in the marketing research process and convince one of those companies not to spend that money.
image: Gary Knight via Flickr (Links to an external site.) (CC BY 2.0)
Youâ€™re going to investigate and document the story of a famous new product flop (and market research failure) and how you went back in time to fix it.
- Identify and research a prominent new product/service failure.
- The press loves failures, so you wonâ€™t have any problem finding examples.
- Identify the following: product/service name, the company who marketed it, the year it was introduced and where (particularly if not in the U.S.).
- Find a sample ad for your failed product/service.
- YouTube is great for TV ads; image searches are great for printed ads. If you canâ€™t find an ad, you probably havenâ€™t picked a big enough flop!
- Grab the link for your ad.
- Answer the following questions about the market research process.
- Refer to section 2.3 of the text as needed.
- What are the steps in a market research process? Provide a brief explanation of each step relating it to your product as possible.
- Where was the failure in your product’s market research process? Which step was missing, not followed correctly, misinterpreted, or misrepresented?
- What, in a single sentence, is the market research finding that you’re going to go back in time and share with management to stop this introduction?