Cultural Competency and Communication Interactive Analysis
In the last unit, you worked with scenarios in which health care staff and patients dealt with cultural or linguistic communication issues. The scenarios were discussed and analyzed in terms of the barriers involved, the potential for suboptimal outcomes, and the effectiveness of the approach to working through the issues. In this assignment, you apply what you learned to address two new scenarios.
The scene is the same: Lake City Hospital in the northeast United States. Reread the background document to refresh your mind about the nature of the specific health care organization.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Analyze Scenario 3, using the Scenario Analysis template to the extent that you find it useful.
- Analyze Scenario 4, again using the Scenario Analysis template as you see fit.
- Come to specific conclusions about how to improve cross-cultural communication.
Part 1: Provide your written analysis of each situation in paragraph form, addressing the following questions in each case:
- What diversity, cultural competency, health literacy, and limited English proficiency (LED) communications did you identify?
- What were your first impressions of the effectiveness of the communication?
- Identify and discuss two important issues or barriers that may affect patient safety (quality of care), positive or negative.
- Considering cultural communication obstacles, how effective were intercultural communications?
Part 2: Prepare to take a seat in the top management meeting at Lake City Hospital. In no more than one page, write a summary report on the key issues you believe must be addressed to improve communication at the hospital. Include the following in your report:
- A brief assessment of the risks the hospital currently runs as a result of cross-cultural communication issues.
- A summary of the kinds of problems and barriers to be overcome, explaining the dynamics of each type, and referencing specific examples from incidents the top management group has heard about. This may include scenarios from Unit 5, Unit 6, or both.
- A brief explanation of the actions you believe should be taken at Lake City Hospital to address the issue.
Your assignment submission consists of the following:
- Part 1: Analysis of two scenarios.
- Part 2: Summary report on key issues in improving cross-cultural communication at Lake City Hospital.