Last Updated on 08/07/2021 by Sophia
According to the textbook, the current world economy is increasingly becoming integrated and interdependent; as a result, the relationship between business and society is becoming more complex. Use the Internet to research a Fortune 500 company of your choice. Use a tablet, smartphone, laptop, desktop, or traditional video recorder to record a maximum five to seven (5â€“7) minute dynamic video on the topics detailed below. Alternatively, you may submit a four to six (4â€“6) page paper instead of the video submission.
If you choose the written paper, your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the relationship between business and society, and the ways in which they are part of an interactive system.
- Recommend ways stakeholders can influence the destiny of both business and society.
- Analyze the various primary and secondary stakeholder groups, their roles, and relationships.
- Compare and contrast the concepts of corporate social responsibility and citizenship.
- Analyze ways ethical challenges affect the multiple functions of business.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in business and society.
- Write clearly and concisely about business and society using proper writing mechanics.
Specific Library Resources to help you get started:
- Introductory Search – Use the home pageâ€™s search box to keyword search many, but not all, databases.
- Targeted Search – Scroll to the bottom of the page for an A to Z listing of all databases. Float over each link to see a description of the database and click to load that particular databaseâ€™s custom search page. Custom search pages include both basic and advanced search options.
- These databases are only partially searchable through the general search bar. You will have to search them individually to find resources for your paper.
- Nexis Uni – This contains legal information and would be useful to search for court cases in which your company has been involved.
- Video Explaining Nexis Uni
- Mergent Online – This has company info on both public and private companies. Fortune 500 can be public or private. Mergent is known for financial and accounting info, but also has qualitative information too. They offer news feeds, country reports on business environments, industry-wide reporting, company reports, and Annual Reportsâ€”the middle 3 are unique to this database. Starting with looking at a company’s annual report would be very useful for this assignment. Industry reports would also be useful to see if your company is involved in any industry-wide initiatives or is notable in its industry in any way (could be good or bad.)
- American City Business Journals – This is probably the most fun way to read business news by metro area. They have over 35 journals based around US cities. Look up the metro area your company is associated with, go to ACBJ, then choose the applicable city, and search for news articles.
- Research Starters are like the academic version of Wikipedia. Search on a topic to get an overview with links to other information within that topic. It will help you get ideas for keywords for your own searches and what you need to know in order to successfully write your paper.
- Don’t stress over writing papers! Watch this video on writing papers and essays. Topics include how to start your research, how to organize your research, how to draft your paper, and how to revise it.