Police officers must adhere to their local departmental policy, state laws, professional standards, and ethical codes.
For your assignment, first read the scenario below.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Officer Mary Smith works the 8-5PM shift. During her shift, she is allowed to take a lunch break at a time that works for her in responding to calls. During her break, she purchases a bottle of wine at a local liquor store and places it in the trunk of her squad car. The wine is a gift for a friend who recently retired from her teaching job and the retirement party is later that day. She does not consume any alcohol on duty, but decided to buy the wine during her break in order to save time when she completes her shift.
A citizen sees Mary buying the wine in uniform and calls the Chief to report the incident and to file a complaint against Mary.
For this assignment, you will assume the role of the Chief. Prepare a paper explaining how, acting as the Chief, you would handle the complaint about Mary.
First, conduct research and provide an overview of the professional rules, laws, policies, and standards that apply to law enforcement officers in your state. Be sure to identify what entity or department is responsible for the rule or standard (e.g. a state agency, a licensing board, an individual department, etc.). Your submission must include the state guidelines, policies, or rules that apply to law enforcement officers.
- To begin your research, find your state organization through the National POST portal on the website for the International Association of Directors of Law Enforcement Standards and Training (IADLEST).
- Be sure research similar incidents for guidance.
Second, write a disciplinary report that address the following topics:
- Identify the applicable professional rules, laws, policies or standards that apply to the scenario above and that guide your decision as Chief:
- You can present your information in bullet points, but be sure to use complete sentences and include the complete title of each policy/rule/standard.
- Include a title naming your state and the proper title of the codes, rules, or standards.
- Identify whether you feel Mary violated and rules of conduct or policies and explain why.
- Explain what discipline, if any, you will impose.
- What other factors will you consider in your decision, i.e., impact of decision on department as a whole, public opinion, etc.?
Prepare your assignment following APA citation and format requirements. You must include proper citations to any source you relied on for information that you include in your paper.
State is Minnesota