Last Updated on 09/10/2021 by Sophia
Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Case Study 2: White-Collar Crimes
Due Week 4 and worth 160 points
According to the text, white-collar crime refers to offenses committed by workers in the course of their commercial activities. In this case study, you will explore white-collar crime as committed by Julian Assange.
Read the article titled â€œU.S. v. WikiLeaks: espionage and the First Amendmentâ€, located at http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40653249/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/t/us-v-wikileaks-espionage-first-amendment/. Next, view the indictment titled â€œ18 U.S.C. Â§ 793: US Code â€“ Section 793: Gathering, transmitting or losing defense informationâ€, located at http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/18/I/37/793.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Examine three (3) elements of white-collar crime and then determine whether or not defendant Julian Assange has committed a white-collar crime or any action that requires prosecution. Provide a rationale to support your position.
- Summarize the Espionage Act, and identify three (3) of the most significant portions of the Act, which you believe Assange infringed upon. Provide support for your opinion.
- Analyze the significance of the growing support for Assange and then examine the degree to which the support he receives is likely a result of his actions of committing a victimless and costless crime. Next, give your opinion as to whether Assange got the outcome that he intended as a result of his actions. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- As a result of a number of overwhelming facts surrounding this case, debate the likelihood of the Department of Justice categorizing Assangeâ€™s behavior as deviant. Next, determine three (3) possible effects on the pursuit of justice if the Justice Department does or does not consider Assangeâ€™s behavior deviant. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar type Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Properly classify criminal offenders and discuss criminal typologies.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues related to the criminal mind.
- Write clearly and concisely about the criminal mind topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.